Tuesday 26 November 2013

The Froch - Groves Aftermath

So last weekend we saw a brilliant domestic showdown between British Super Middleweight kingpin Carl Froch and the fast rising George Groves. This fight in many people's opinion was an easy bet (including the bookies). Credit must be given to Eddie Hearn for making this happen!

So my own prediction was Groves would be stopped early. Very early and if not he would win a tight decision. What happened shocked me and I'm guessing most of the boxing world. Just before the fight Johnny Nelson was interviewing an ex boxer in the ring. This guy laughed when nelson asked who will win. He said groves has not got enough power and the fight would not last long. Prince Naseem Hamed had a similar prediction much to the crowds annoyance. Naz looked to be buzzing off some sort of drug but we will leave that for another day. I was expecting the usual comeback talk!


So round 1 - Boom Froch is down and down hard. I know Froch has stated since that not many would get up from them shots. I agree - he was in big trouble. So Groves and his lack of power theory was blown out of the water. I have seen Froch walk through bombs and Groves really hurt him early. I honestly think Groves could have ended the fight if he stepped up the pressure but caution prevailed.

The fight went on and the clinical masterclass delivered by Groves at time made Froch look like he should not have been in there. Andre ward the p4p king and ruler of the Super Middleweight division did not make Froch look so poor. Groves has a very bright future.

So lets get to the controversial stoppage. Two or three round before this groves was on the ropes taking shots. Groves put his hands by his side and started bobbing and weaving thus mocking Froch. Never has anyone laughed like that at Froch's power. For me it seemed Groves could take every shot Froch had and Froch did not like the power Groves possessed. So Groves got caught with a few clean shots... Boom its over?!?!?! I was shocked and disappointed. I actually thought we could have had a riot on our hands when it was stopped.

Groves - The Real Victor
I understand the referee has a duty but a standing count could have been used. Perhaps Groves lack in experience stopped him taking a knee and a count. I don't know? What I do know is Groves was embarrassing Froch throughout the fight. Even when pinned to the ropes and in Froch's most comfortable place Groves was getting the best in the exchanges.

The judges scoring? WOW! Two judges had Groves just one round up? He had a clear 10-8 in round one and dominated Froch throughout! Judging in boxing should not6 shock me but almost always does. DISGUSTING scoring!

Everything Froch has got away with in his career was exposed on a different level. It has taken Froch years to win over fans by being a warrior and fighting the best. It took Froch less than 5 minutes to undo all of this with his post fight antics.

All Froch had to say was "Groves gave me a great fight. He was winning and the stoppage was dubious. Im happy to have a rematch"..... Great! No no no - Froch explains the referee saved George Groves career then insulted the fans. Shocking. Who will the rematch suit better? I'm not sure, I see Groves really hurting Froch next time out. But Froch's trainer Robert McCracken will have him far readier than he was this time. It was like Froch never got going. Groves was quicker to the punch end of.

One thing is certain Groves has a very bright future. I see him actually being able to give Andre Ward a real run for his money. Exciting times for Groves!

No comments:

Post a Comment