Sunday 28 July 2013

UFC on Fox 8 - Correct Predictions

Well I got all the predictions I made for UFC on Fox 8 correct. When it came to the actual fights I was pretty far off the ball when it came to predicting where the action would be.


Carmouche GnP beat down of Jessica Andrade    
This fight did not suprise me result wise but the dominance shown by Liz was shocking. Once on the ground Andrade looked totally out of her depth and was easily mounted and eventually finished through GnP in the 2nd. Where does this leave Carmouche in a still under developed ladies UFC division? Only time will tell but I don't think she should be fighting Rousey again anytime soon.  

Lawlor looking evil
I had a feeling Robbie Lawlor would beat Bobby Voelker but I certainly did not think he would do it so well. Gareth A Davies tweeted mid first round he sees Lawler as a dark horse at Welterweight and with his last stoppage performance (Koscheck TKO Feb 2013) he could be right. Lawlor had it his way completely and was literally sizing Voelker up for the finish towards the end of the first round. The writing was on the wall for a stoppage and it arrived in devastating fashion. A lovely Head kick followed up by a casual finishing punch on the ground and it was over all of 24 seconds into the 2nd round. I feel he was unlucky not to get KO of the night But Melvin Guillard scooped that with a great one punch KO earlier in the night.


Co-Main a lacklustre affair
In the fight I expected to be the barn burner of the night we saw nothing but a game of chess. Both fighters have drawn criticism from fans and Dana White. Rory MacDonald defeated Jake Ellenburger by unanimous decision.I believed Rory would have thrown Ellenburger about for two rounds before stopping him - I was wrong wrong wrong! What we saw was a very cautious MacDonald who worked his jab well using his reach to keep Ellenburger at range. It was evident Rory knew Ellenburger had the power to hurt him early and kept him at range before feeding him his iron jab repetitively. I personally think Rory did what he needed to do, he beat a very dangerous striker. It may have been a dull fight but the decision was clear. Will a title shot be on the cards for Rory now? And where does Ellenburger go from here?

Mighty Mouse Demetrious Johnson Destroys "no name" Moraga
The title may sound harsh but believe me its pretty accurate. Moraga was sold as being the biggest challenge Mighty Mouse had seen because of his vicious stand up and brilliant wrestling. That brilliant wrestling was not so effective. Mighty Mouse took him down at will constantly and completely dominated on the ground. Every time I see Mighty Mouse fight I like him more. Its not that Moraga was rubbish its that Mighty Mouse is so good. Moraga eventually tapped to arm bar in round 5. If people are still complaining about the flyweight division after this great show of technical skill they really don't understand MMA. I was suprised to see how empty the arena was for the flyweight title fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment