Saturday 16 August 2014

#AndTheNew.....IBF...... Kell Brook!

Kell Brook IBF

Kell Brook - IBF Champion - Special K


After much anticipation and rumours of injuries Kell Brook finally fought for a world title against Shawn Porter. Im still awake and buzzing from the result so thought I best get my opinions down while they are fresh.

The bookmakers had certainly written Kell Brook off going into this fight with very very wide odds that made even small bets viable. It seems "the special Ks" recent list of victories were ignored and Porters w's were over played. Leading up to the fight and seeing the wide odds I started watching Porters fights back to make sure I had not missed some amazing ability. Besides stopping Mallagnagi with elbows I didnt see anything new or too exciting.


The event held at the Stub-Hub Centre, California seemed to lack atmosphere from the start. I assumed this would improve for the main event especially after the awful showing of Bika and Direll (disgrace to the ring both of them..... but thats a different blog)!  Amazingly the atmosphere remained as lively as a breeze block in a bunker during the walk outs for the main event. For me the UK has a far better atmosphere than the US for boxing (and most things) on any day of the week.

The Fight - Porter Vs Brook


So as expected the fight started fast with Porter piling on the pressure almost instantly. Kell looked cautious as he tried to figure out what power Porter actually had. Kell landed the clearer shots in the first but was under a constant barrage of flailing punches and leading with the head. Brook finished the round strongly with a great shot on the bell.

The second round was far more on Porters side in my opinion as he essentially man handled Brook and used dirty boxing to stamp down his authority. This went on for another couple of rounds and Porter in my honest opinion gained a very big lead on the scorecards.

Porter was constantly spoiling and leading in with the head and windmilling. His upper body movement does resemble Tyson slightly but Iron Mike landed what he threw. It seemed Porter was closing his eyes and diving in with looping punches. I honestly thought the work rate alone and dirty style had won porter the fight by round 8 unless Brook pulled out a stoppage.

Brook started holding the centre of the ring and pushing Porter back after round 8 and you kind of saw something leave Porter when this happened. Porter continued moving forward but was now starting to get tagged consistently and accurately.

So the final bell rang and most people I was chatting to including myself thought it would be a wide UD for Porter due to home town etc etc.... I also thought the work rate Porter put in could have been seen as effective aggression as oppose to looping punches and spoiling. I was certain the result would go against Brook.

The first judges score was a draw, then a wide score I was certain Brook had lost..... #AndTheNew....... WOW what a moment! Brook took the title.

Quick Summary - Brook v Porter


I was suprised by the scoring and thought a draw would have been very fair for Kell. Thankfully the judges were able to see effective damage and skills. I think Kell was lucky to get that result in the US but it is the most overdue world title in the world!

Kell - Fantastic performance, he got through what he needed to and I dont think he will face a trickier or dirtier opponent that Porter at this level.

Porter - Horrible (and i mean that) little dirty fighter with very little ability other than leading with headbuts and rabbit punches to the back of the head. Also was openly using wresting to dominate Kell into corners. I think he is a poor boxer but a nightmare for any boxer. Should not hold world title the way he fights. Suprisingly humble in defeat.

Referee - Very poor. I felt that Porter was getting away with very dirty tactics.

Whats next for Kell Brook & Shawn Porter


For Kell the options are his. I think he could get any fight he wants and I think he can win it. Khan is obviously the main rivalry but I feel Brook should tell Khan to go get a title then come back. A nice mandatory in Sheffield then a big name.

Porter - Windmill drunk guys in a club. No seriously his style is awful, dirty and wholly ineffective against someone with ability. He gets away with allot in the ring due to slyness and not allowing any breaks. I dont think Kell should or ever will give him a rematch. Disgusting fighter leading with head and throwing constant shots to the back of the head. His wrestling was also stupid. Horrible fighter with terrible arrogance.

To sum it all up I am delighted Brook has brought a world title back to the UK and YORKSHIRE! He is a genuinely nice guy and I don't understand where all the hate comes from. Kell is the future of boxing for the UK and the world.... it is that simple.

Shawn Porter Lost IBF
Dirty Dwarf (Shawn Porter)





No comments:

Post a Comment