Sunday 23 February 2014

#Neknomination - Dying for a drink?



So Neknomination has spread rapidly over the last few weeks and has caught much media attention. If you don’t know what Neknomination is – It started as a drink downing competition that is filmed the placed onto Facebook nominating the next drinker. It has quickly spread world-wide and become more and more extreme. For me this trend highlights a drinking culture based on peer pressure and lunacy. I don’t know anyone who started drinking as a result of enjoying the taste… Neknomination reminds me of being 13 and downing cider in a park until I was sick to impress my mates.

#Neknominee - Victim

What’s alarming is how fast it has spread, how many people have got involved and the levels it has gone to. The first videos I saw were of guys in Australia downing pints of lager. Slowly it progressed to a man getting hit with fireworks, light strips and a man with boxing gloves on. The stunt became important, not the drink.
Then Neknomination hit the UK! Stunts almost irrelevant…. Drink amount vital. I have seen a man eat a dead chick, down a pint of vodka with eggs in then eat a cigarette – Healthy enough. Then I started seeing people I knew drinking bleach, shower gel and washing up liquid? Incredible how we Brits have to try and outdo the Aussies at everything. So far only two deaths have been reported in relation to this but I am shocked the number is not higher. With the weekend on our doorstep I have no doubt we will see some big stories about this.

Hopefully this crazy “game” will help to spread awareness about the worldwide drinking problem we face. What started at as fun has become a dangerous and potentially life threatening dare-type drinking game. Meanwhile in South Africa I have seen videos of people giving out food to the homeless instead of drinking. Good idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment