Friday 30 August 2013

My Alcohol Addiction, The NHS & Rehab Clinics




So through losing a good few years, friends and jobs through addiction to mainly alcohol but basically anything I can abuse I have searched relentlessly for a "cure". This search has led me down many paths. Substituting weed for alcohol, cocaine for speed..... the list goes on. None of these methods were too successful. I also read a few books on becoming a successful drinker or lowering your drinking with various strategies. None of these seemed to work!

Me
I bounced around the NHS (National Health Service) in the UK for a few years. I first went to see a doctor after throwing up blood from drinking up to 2 bottles of vodka a day while holding down a full time job. The Doctor advised me to stop eating spicy food, avoid tomatoes and stop drinking. Sound advice if unicorns were real. I returned to the same doctor a few weeks later with a serious gastric infection, surprisingly he did not link this to my drinking. Eventually after a few more drink related illnesses I was advised to keep a drink diary and meet with a member of the Alcohol action team once every 2 weeks. This again was a fruitless attempt to stop a deadly and progressive obsession with alcohol.

Over the space of the next few years I ended up with a list of drink related criminal offences including a banning order from every football ground in Europe, assault on a police officer and various other minor public order offences. Although when I was younger I suspected I may have had a drinking problem I always thought it was the result of circumstance and if I got a new car, house or girlfriend things would improve. Eventually after missing work a few to many Mondays in a row I decided to check into a rehab clinic in the UK. This was Affinity Lodge, a non CQC registered holistic programme that told me the science behind drinking, let me sit on a magic vibrating chair and ultimately gave me no idea how to remain abstinent from drinking. I relapsed within maybe a month of leaving this two week treatment and as far as I am aware everyone I met there also relapsed within a short period of time. I specifically remember being told that AA (alcoholics anonymous) was a cult at this “clinic”. Remarkably someone died while in care at this centre and it subsequently closed down shortly after.


Vodka - It will be fun she said
I went back to work and continued drinking unsuccessfully for about another 6 months. Eventually I was brought to my knees again by the vodka and believed no hope existed for me. At this point in my life I was happy to die drunk as long as I had some vodka when I woke up on the other side.

It was Christmas time, the best time to drink all the time unnoticed. Unfortunately I managed to sever a tendon in my right hand after boxing with a beautiful man… wait actually it was a mirror. I went to hospital and 20 minutes before surgery nipped out for a “pint”. This was actually a pint chased down with 8 double vodkas in a very short space of time. Needless to say it ended terribly and thankfully the NHS allowed me to go back the next day. Surgery went well but all I wanted to do was drink to ease the physical pain. Drinking on medication was great, a great blur of drunken phone calls and abuse to anyone who dared post on facebook. I was living the dream….. of a mentally disturbed idiot.

I woke up a few days before new year to be greeted by all of my sisters and mother. Remarkably my oldest sister had a bottle of vodka. “Come for a drive” she said. “It will be fun she said”. She also had 20 embassy number 1! I was more than up for the drive and did not even notice others were packing my bags. So after an hour of drinking neat vodka and driving aimlessly towards London I found myself in another rehab clinic. This time it was a real rehab clinic! My room had a single bed? I was upset about this and my family were crying. I honestly believed at the time they were crying about the single bed. Nothing to do with me head-butting a wall?!

Vodka related injury
The clinic was called TTP (Trust The Process) and I stayed for 6 weeks. This treatment really made me look at my behaviours and emotions and how these play a role in my drinking. Unfortunately I was not ready to stop drinking and relapsed within 6 weeks. My drinking after this was briefly successful as was my work life. I stopped drinking again by attending AA before a business deal went sour (I will blog about this another time). This sent me into an oblivion.

I eventually attended a rehab in South Africa (thanks to my family) and this had quite a profound effect on my drinking - I stopped. I stayed in Harmony Clinic for 3 months and learned allot about me in this time. I currently work a 12 step programme in AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) and this is keeping me sober with regular meetings.

I’m doing step work & have changed my life and relocated to South Africa. At the moment things are good but I take one day at a time. I believe 3 months of treatment had a huge impact on my perceptions of life. I have also done other more holistic stuff outside of AA namely Ayuhausca and will blog about this later.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that mate. I found the information at Affinity lodge Very useful the science behind addiction was the missing piece of the jigsaw if you like for me, in my recovery, but i had done a 3 month stint in a rehab before this. So I suppose same thing but opposite way round. As for AA again not for me but what ever helps you mate do. Ultimately not drinking is our goal so however we achieve this is what we need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the comment - hope your well!

    ReplyDelete